This evening I was able to celebrate the life a fine 20 year old college student whose life was cut short. Krm is one of my dearest (and I will also say mentally unstable) friends and her stepbrother recently passed away. A few other friends and I decided that we wanted to support her and we attended the memorial service (funeral is a word that I hate). This was not my first experience attending one of these things, but it definitely got me thinking of some things. So here they are. Hopefully they don't offend:
First of all, shitty things happen. For the two people that read this might get offended for me using that word, but the word totally fits. Nobody thought that when Chino (Krm's brother) went to Perfect North to have an awesome day of skiing, that it would also be his last. It was a pretty shitty day for his family and friends. As much as we try to avoid them, shitty things happen in our life. Whether it is the massive hunger epidemic in Africa, kids being beaten and abused in America, or the large numbers of casualties of war, shitty things happen. We can't avoid it
Second, we are not perfect. As brought to your (the two people that read this) attention in my last post, I am not perfect. I do not claim to be. I see so many people beat themselves up for perfection only to fail (usually with me and a big bag of popcorn laughing hysterically). I am all about striving for your best. But when you fail, dust yourself off again and pick yourself back up dawg.
Third of all, Jesus is all. Chino was a believer in Christ, so we got to celebrate the fact that he was now in the presence of his Creator. It was awesome to hear the songs being played in the speakers. (side note: I am now convinced that you have to play a MercyMe song at every funeral ever) The songs were filled with truth. We are broken, we come into the presence of a loving and graciousl Father who gave us Son, and we are redeemed. Such awesome truth to know that we have a Savior that loves us even when the shitty things happen and when we fail.
Fourth of all, I hate student loans. I know this is random and off topic but after the memorial service, I got an email saying I am two months overdue a payment, in which I know I paid. Stupid loans.
Bad things happen a lot in this world, but we have a God that still loves us. He gave us Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment